Amelia is already a week old :( :( and I am just getting around to writing more about her arrival. The last week of my pregnancy was pretty much miserable, probably because I was over due! Each day felt like a week! I finally went in to the doctor on Wednesday and scheduled to be induced on Friday. I really prayed that I wouldn't have to be induced but it felt like labor was never going to start! I got back from my doctor's appointment and deep cleaned my house... think huge pregnant woman on all fours cleaning every nook and cranny... :) I then made dinner and sure enough started having some contractions! They lasted all through the night and I was so excited that I couldn't sleep more than an hour. At 4am, I called my cousin Jen to come watch my kids. Almost right after I called her, my contractions slowed way down. They were still hurting but they were only 10-20 minutes apart. I was so sad because I thought they were going to go away. Ben and I decided to go to the hospital anyway just to see at 6am. We got there and I was dilated to a 6! I was shocked. We filled out all the paperwork and the nurse asked me if I still wanted to try going natural (it must have said I wanted to in my chart) I told her I wanted to try to not get any drugs but we would see. She was sooo supportive and encouraging and sent in this amazing doula/nurse named Trina to give us tips. Trina gave Ben ideas to help me with breathing and positions. She also gave me a stress ball and some other things to use during labor. If it wasn't for her ideas and encouragement, I don't think we would have been able to do it naturally. She was amazing. About 7 or 8am, the doctor came in and checked me. Since the labor was slow, she told me I could walk or move around to get it going, get some pitocin, or get my water broken. I was already so tired from staying up all night so I didn't feel like walking. I didn't want to get any drugs and I had heard horror stories of pitocin so I hoped to not need that. So... I had her break my water. From there things moved a lot quicker. My contractions got closer together, harder, and longer. With Ben's help, I was doing good at staying calm and breathing until about the last hour. Then everything pretty much turned to chaos and I remember thinking, "Oh my gosh, what have I done?! I really have to have this baby naturally now!" I have never felt such intense pain in my entire life! Everything that worked before was no longer helpful at all. The doctor came running in and Amelia was finally born at 10:49am (the same time Olivia was born)! They announced that it was a girl and immediately handed her to me. It felt so good to finally hold my baby! It was such a crazy and surreal experience to have this baby naturally. For the first few days after having her, I honestly didn't know if I would ever do that again. Now that it's been a week, I think I will try again on my next child. :) It was really empowering to accomplish something that I honestly never thought I could do. Ben was such an amazing coach and helped me so much. I am so happy we were finally able to do it and that everything went so well! Amelia is such a good baby and we love her so much.
Well that is the condensed (believe it or not!) version of Amelia's birth. Here are some pictures from her birth day.Here I am between contractions and before it got too hard. :)
Her face is just soo cute in this picture.
Just after she was born.
Ben holding her for the first time.
The doctor that delivered and the baby nurse. Notice that Amelia immediately sucked on the nurse's finger. She came out with hickeys on her hand from sucking! This girl likes to eat!
The first thing Andrew said to me when he came in was, "We were right, mom! It's a girl named Amelia!" I had thought it was a girl the whole time and Amelia was the only name that really stuck. He was pretty impressed that we guessed right. :)
Olivia loves her and always asks, "Did the baby come out of your belly?!"
Getting ready to go home!
I love having a new baby in the house! She is such a sweetie.
1/30/11
Amelia's Birth
Posted by Megan at 9:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Way to go Megan! I wanted to go natural with Miles but totally chickened out at the last minute! She is so beautiful!
Yeah for you!
Oh she is so cute! I;m so impressed with you doing it all natural!. WAy to go!! And by the way I LOVE the name Amelia!!! I can't get over it! I so wish I could see her in person! we miss you guys!
Natrual birth is no joke! Just when you are 100% sure that you CAN NOT actually do it, it is too late to turn back. But, it sure is amazing when it is all said and done. You are amazing, and she is amazing!
Good Job! You look great and she is BEAUTIFUL! I knew you could do it! You are amazing!
Post a Comment