Ben and I have had a rough couple months with school stress and health issues, as well as being busy with callings and other extra activities. I have been on a bit of a blogging hiatus all this time. But I'm coming out of the fog and decided to update everyone on the past three months. Last month for the USU spring break, Ben and I left the kids in Duchesne with his parents and went to St. George and Zions. We lived there for a couple years before we moved to Logan and honeymooned in Zion, but hadn't been back in almost 6 years. It was an awesome trip. I have missed St. George so much. On the way there, we got to visit with some old friends, Bryan and Veneita Watt, so it was pretty perfect. PS- most of these pics are on Facebook too, but I wanted to blog about it anyway.
The first day in St. George, we went to a session at the temple. It was awesome. We weren't active in the church while living there, so it was cool to go to that temple for the first time.
After the temple, we grabbed lunch and dessert at one of our favorite places. It even smells the same!
We drove up to the Dixie Rock and enjoyed the awesome view and perfect weather.
Later, we went on a little hike near Tuacahn.
The next day, we bought some souvenirs for the kids at another favorite spot, Thomas Judd's.
Then we toured the Brigham Young summer home, which was actually really cool. I wish I would have taken advantage of more things like that when I lived in St. George. This white building is where all the endowment sessions were written out. Before that, they were memorized by only a few people in the church. Brigham Young built this building specifically for writing them out.
Grape vines!
We left St. George and took off for Zions after touring the Brigham Young house. We started with a couple basic hikes we have done before.
Angel's Landing... didn't actually hike that one this time.
We then stopped for lunch and I had the most amazing fish tacos ever! Yum.
We drove up to do the Observation Point hike. This was on the drive up there. It ends right where those clouds are, so you can imagine the view.
This was actually a pretty sweet hike for being so short. We walked under this rock.
The view!
On our way back down, we stopped to try out an unmarked hike. Ben hates going on the regular hikes. He insists on boulder hopping and causing me to fear for my life. I forgot my camera, so these are my lame camera phone photos, but it was beautiful to say the least and we only saw one other person. I'm so glad we stopped to do this one.
This is part of the "trail" that Ben found all on his own. I was frustrated and stubborn and decided to find my own route. Needless to say, his was easier.
Part of the trail meant finding a way across this pond. That was interesting.
The next day, we got up to do one more unmarked hike we had heard about. It was called Shelf Canyon, and the instructions online basically said walk to mile marker something and look down for footprints in the sand to follow. It was a little scary. I kept envisioning a flood coming down the slot canyon and no one finding our bodies. Yep, I'm a freak. This trail we were completely alone though. Despite my fears, it was awesome and probably my favorite hike. I hate how busy so many of the trails in Zion are and this slot canyon was beautiful.
After our last hike, we headed for Provo to meet my grandparents and pick up our kids. It was great to get a break, but we both missed our kids a lot. I would love to take them back to Zion sometime. I think they would love it. We stopped for pizza and got back home later that night. Such a fun adventure for Ben and I.












































0 comments:
Post a Comment