2/19/10

Take Some Responsibility

When I have nothing to do, which is hardly ever, I youtube Ellen Degeneres shows. The other day I was watching an interview with Adam Lambert after what I heard was a very "interesting" AMA performance on his part. I then clicked on a different interview with Adam Lambert where he answered a question about what he would say to parents who let their kids stay up and watch his performance, which was rated TV-14, and were then disappointed by what they saw. His response was something to the effect of, "I'm not a babysitter, my job is not to take care of your children, that's your job." In another interview he later said, "No regrets." Now I am not attacking Adam Lambert, I have heard that same "I'm not a babysitter, no regrets" kinda attitude with LOTS of celebrities and regular people. At first I sorta agreed with him, then I started thinking more, then I listened to the words of this song.

Of course you can't blame one person for every bad thing in the world, but when are people going to start taking responsibility for what they do and how it affects others? When you have a bad attitude and take it out on every one else, it affects people. When you are too busy with your own life to help others or just say hello, it affects them also. When you watch or listen to media/movies/music that condones things you don't agree with, you become a hypocrite. "Oh but it's only entertainment" uh huh. People are so quick to point fingers and blame anyone but themselves. It is hard to take the blame, it means swallowing pride and admitting when you are wrong. That ridiculous "no regrets" attitude is for the immature. Everyone has regrets. We were meant to come to this earth to make mistakes and learn from them. I am going to really try from here on out to take more responsibility for what I do or don't do. I am also going to be more careful about what kinds of media I watch, because I have been a hypocrite on more occasions than I care to share by watching, reading, and listening to things that I don't agree with, all in the name of entertainment. It's time to take responsibility and realize that I play a part in this world and that my actions affect others whether I realize it or not.

"It was you, it was me, it was every man
We've all got the blood on our hands
We only receive what we demand
And if we want hell then hells what we'll have"

2 comments:

Sarah said...

here, here!

Morley Fam said...

Amen Megan! You said that very well. I completely agree. I need to work on that as well.