As I was reading this week's chapter for one of my classes, I ran across some interesting research I wanted to share.
Psychologists conducted a survey of yearbook photos. They compared the life outcomes of women students whose photos showed a genuine smile (meaning: corners of the mouth turned up and skin around the corners of the eyes crinkled) with those of women who had an inauthentic smile. They found that the women who had a real smile were more likely to be married, to stay married, and to experience more personal well-being over a 30-year period.
About 23 percent of New Year's resolutions are broken in the first week, 45 percent by the end of January. The number one reasons people fail are: their willpower is not enough, they haven't chosen realistic resolutions, and fail to devise a plan to work on them every day.
In a poll of 200 new brides in 1988, 46 percent said they would consider trading in their engagement ring for a bigger, better diamond in the future, 54 percent said no. When these women were polled 15 years later, of the 46 who said yes, 81 percent were divorced. Of the ones that said no, 78 percent were still married.
Two surveys about family values and patterns of behavior indicated that people in the U.S. think the family is falling apart everywhere but in their own home. This paradox is called the, "I'm okay, but you're not" syndrome. Nevertheless, 4 out of 5 Americans say they wouldn't give up a Thanksgiving dinner with family for $1,000.
Source: Resource Management for Individuals & Families by Elizabeth R. Goldsmith
How many of you went and checked your yearbook picture after reading this?? :)
2/3/10
Random Facts
Posted by Megan at 4:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comments:
I did check out my yearbook senior pic and I thought I had a genuine smile but then who knows, that was way too many years ago. LOL
Post a Comment