Ever have those nights laying in bed where you all of a sudden feel inspired to do tons of new things to make your life better? And you keep getting up to write it down on a notepad so you don't forget, then lay back down, only to think of something else and get right back up again? Does this happen to anyone else? There is so much to do, and hardly any time in the day. I hate it when I make those lists and then get up in the morning to find my sink full of dishes, my son crying, "eat eat eat" and all the other daily things I absolutely HAVE to do before I can even think about my list. Then by the time I get to my list I am exhausted again. Of all those nightly epiphanies... How do you decide what is important enough to act on and what is just a waste of time? I really don't know. I do know that I had the feeling to read East of Eden after reading Rachel V's blog about it. Even though I honestly think I will probably not understand much of it, I am going to read it. And now that I have blogged about it... I really have to. :) After looking at several nights worth of my crazy ideas, I almost get overwhelmed thinking about what I need, or maybe want, to do in my life... For instance, I also decided that one day I am going to visit Alaska and go fishing for salmon. (Ben about died when I told him this, hahaha) Someday I am also going to take a trip to Italy and to the Greek islands. I am going to buy handmade table cloths from little old ladies that have never left their homes :) and play at the beach and ride the little scooters through the greek towns with white houses and blue shutters. I am going to eat dinner at the Eiffel tower and I am even going to order it in french! One day I am going to see the Swiss Alps too and get sick from eating too much swiss chocolate. Someday... yeah someday. For now, I will just be content in my wonderful world of chasing children through the park and changing diapers. As much as I really want to do all of those amazing things, I feel the best thing I have ever done in my life has been having Andrew and Olivia. Truthfully I would give all those things up if I could just see them happy. It makes me think of one of my favorite little poems of all time. "You are the trip I did not take, you are the pearls I cannot buy, you are my blue Italian lake, you are my piece of foreign sky." My children are my piece of foreign sky. I feel really blessed to have such amazing people (not just my children) in my life and I hope all my crazy ideas on little notecards next to my bed don't get in the way of what is really important. That's my real epiphany for the day, I better go write it down! Haha.
9/19/08
My piece of foreign sky...
Posted by Megan at 1:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Your blog is so inspiring!!! I love it. As far as my background goes, Dayna does it for me. There is a site that you go to that has a million of them, and she is so good to do it for me because I am so backward when it comes time to that kind of stuff. I am sure she could tell you where to find them. But I love your blog. I think it looks great. By the way, You are an awesome mom!!!! The world needs more mom's like you!!
Wow... wow... that's all I have to say.
Post a Comment