11/12/08

Oma

Well my grandma starts her chemotherapy treatment tomorrow to fight her breast cancer. I am so grateful that they are already starting to work on it, especially since she just found out two or three weeks ago that she had it. Watching her go through this and thinking about all the things she will be facing in the next year has made me think about what a wonderful person she is. So I have been pondering and decided to jot down some of my favorite things about her.


1- She has the patience of a saint. So many things just drive me crazy and she doesn’t bat any eye. She is always telling me to, “take a chill pill”. Haha. The whole house could be burning down and she would probably just be standing there thinking, “well, now what?” I will never forget when I got black permanent marker on her brand new CREAM colored couch (mind you I was 20, not 2) I was so afraid to tell her! She is so good at thinking before acting. I need to work on that!


2- She is giving. She puts everyone before herself. She donates so much time and effort every year for her family, friends, and complete strangers. She will always sit back while everyone else dishes up their plates or while everyone else opens their gifts. I am amazed at how she treats my grandpa. She dishes his food, draws his bath, and helps him with his garage. My grandpa teases Ben that I need to be trained because I don't do all that for him. Haha. She likes to see everyone happy around her.


3- She is so much fun to be around. She keeps me laughing and I mean hysterically. Hahaha, I am laughing just thinking about her. Only she would understand this but I crack up every time someone says, “I need a nap.” I will never forget watching her knock Jennifer off the corner of the couch, hahaha, or wrestling at the girl’s night. I am always teasing her about “embracing her age”, letting her hair go grey, etc. etc. She thinks I am nuts. We have the same eye color, but she calls it hazel and I call it grey. Hmm… still don’t know who is right on that one. Watching her laugh just makes me laugh. She is so funny.


4- She gives great advice. I have to go to her for everything. It’s a little pathetic on my part but I don’t know what I would do without her. Honestly I think I would jump off a cliff if she really thought I should. Haha. I always call her whining or crying about something and she is one person that just gets to me. She doesn’t always tell me what I want to hear and I love that. She can make me feel so much better. It’s that special grandma magic I guess.


5- She is a peacemaker. My family gets so uptight sometimes. Haha. That Park temper is a real thing! We all love each other but someone always has to be offended or frustrated or griping about something. Drama, drama. I guess that’s what you get when 50 people get together. Anyway- my grandma has this way of cooling everyone's nerves. She can fix almost any fight, even if it comes to sitting on the porch and holding hands. :) She teases my grandpa as he goes to city council, "play nice with the kids, Clint."

There are several other memories and traits I could talk about, but I would rather not share those with the world. Suffice it to say that my grandma is the greatest woman I know and if anyone deserves a break, it is certainly she. Please pray for her to have the strength to carry this burden. I love you grandma!

3 comments:

nadine said...

Wow megan, I had no idea about your Grandma. But then she is a tuff women. But I will keep her and the family in our prayers. Your grandma is a great person. She helped me out in so many ways. Well hope everything will go well.

julie said...

Megan, I am so sorry to hear about your grandma! I had no idea, I live in the same town and hadn't heard a thing! Our prayers are with you and your family!

Becca said...

Hey guys, this is Justin. Helen really is an amazing woman. Our family loves her too, she is in our family's prayers. Its great to see you guys doing so well! Ben was always one of my favorite guys, and he was lucky to catch you. Merry Christmas from the Farleys