2/27/12
Diapers
A few months ago I went crazy and decided to stop using disposable diapers... Haha. I say "crazy" because that is what most people call me when I tell them this news. I remember having a few friends that did it and thinking, "Good for you, but I could never do that." Despite the looks people give me when they find out, I am 95% sure of my decision and happy with the change. Now before everyone stamps "lunatic" or "tree-hugger" to my forehead, let me explain...
1: They really are not much worse than disposables. I mean changing any type of diaper is no picnic. But, the days of wrapping cloth around your baby with pins and swishing them around in the toilet to get them clean are gone. They are so much easier to use than they used to be.
2: They save SOOO much money. I have 13 diapers that I paid less than 200 dollars for. I have a few other accessories, but haven't spent over 300. That's about the same cost as 5-6 months of disposables. Mine are all adjustable one-size diapers so they last from newborn to potty training.
3: They're much better for the environment. :)
4: They're cute... yes, I just called a diaper cute. And they don't leak near as often.
I still use disposables when we leave town and at night sometimes or when I run out of cloth. I went through a bit of trial and error in the beginning but watched a ton of youtube videos and read a ton of blogs on the subject. Who knew there was such a world of cloth diapers? There have definitely been a couple times where I wanted to bag the whole idea and go back to disposables. But for the most part, I've been happy with the switch and don't want to go back.
Despite what this picture may tell you, I think Millie likes them too. :) I should have bought more diapers with snaps!
Posted by Megan at 3:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Hey! Good for you with the cloth diapers :) My sister does them, and i borrowed them for a week. I couldn't handle it. For some reason ours stunk so bad, just the pee smell was overwhelming. Have you figured anything out to help with the smell? i'm curious if the are just ours, or normal.... My sister's baby always has the little pee smell, there's got to be some way to get rid of it, but i just don't know what it is..... Looks like you guys are doing good, miss you
Elise... It sounds like they might need to be stripped? Go here and see if any of this applies to you. http://mamanatural.com/when-to-strip-cloth-diapers/
Then go here http://mamanatural.com/how-to-strip-your-cloth-diapers/
That is what I do when they start smelling like that.
I have always thought of trying that out. I don't know if I'm brave enough.
Millie really does have a lot of curls in her hair. I love the picture of her sitting down looking at her diaper.
Post a Comment