Get ready for my random soap box of the week... :) I'll probably be embarrassed I even posted this but I found my new favorite book and it's got me thinking... A LOT about being a mom. It's called A Lantern In Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. I apologize if I sound like a broken record to everyone who has heard me rave about it for the past several weeks but I just can't get it out of my head. It's not some crazy, exciting, or totally unique story either. It's just about a pioneer mom and the sacrifices she makes for her family. One of my favorite quotes in the book is when the main character Abbie, is responding to her daughter's comments about her being too "narrow" because she never traveled...
"You know, Gracie, it's queer, but I don't feel narrow. I feel broad. How
can I explain it to you, so you would understand? I've seen
everything... and I've hardly been away from this yard. I've seen
cathedrals in the snow on the Lombardy poplars. I've seen the sun set
behind the Alps over there when the clouds have been piled up on the
edge of the prairie. I've seen the ocean billows in the rise and the
fall of the prairie grass. I've seen history in the making... three ugly
wars flare up and die down. I've sent a lover and two brothers to one, a
son and son-in-law to another, and two grandsons to the other. I've
seen the feeble beginnings of a raw state and the civilization that
developed there, and I've been part of the beginning and part of the
growth. I've married...and borne children and looked into the face of
death. Is childbirth narrow, Grace? Or marriage? Or death? When you've
experienced all those things, Grace, the spirit has traveled although
the body has been confined. I think travel is a rare privilege and I'm
glad you can have it. But not every one who stays at home is narrow and
not every one who travels is broad. I think if you can understand
humanity...can sympathize with every creature...can put yourself into
the personality of every one...you're not narrow...you're broad."
If that quote doesn't give you goose-bumps, I don't know what will! The thing about the book is that this mother never did anything too spectacular for herself but she did everything for her family. How often do you hear moms lamenting that they need a hobby, they need a job, they need something in order to have an identity outside of their kids? I am not saying anything is wrong with those things, I think a lot of those things are actually good and help moms keep their sanity. I'm also not suggesting that good moms only sit at home with kids and never travel, learn, work, or take a break for things they enjoy or have to do. But I had to drop all my classes last week and I couldn't help but feel like some kind of failure for not doing more. I seriously bawled my eyes out over dropping them. (Yeah I'm emotional.) Why is it that women have to have it all? Maybe I already have it all... so why do I feel pressure to do more? I was talking with my cousin the other day and she said, "Remember when you didn't like kids? And said you didn't want kids?" I was horrified that I actually said those things... and then I thought about it and the truth is, I don't think I ever really did feel those things. I just wanted to be rebellious and do something more than "JUST" stay home. I wanted to get my degree and see the world and heck, I still want to do those things... SOMEDAY. But I also always wanted to rock my own babies to sleep or bake cookies for them to eat after school and guess what... my kids are almost school age! So I'll just warn everyone now, I'll probably be the next Duggar woman (no I'm not pregnant) because I'm obsessed with my kids, parenting books, childbirth, play dates, and snack times. I'm really happy with my life as a stay at home mom, as "narrow" as it may seem at times.
"And the minister at home had said you could do anything with your life. But that was not so. Life did things to you."
If you haven't read that book, I highly recommend it!!
2/1/12
A Lantern In Her Hand
Posted by Megan at 9:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
YOu've got me convinced to read it!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it. I agree with you. I get asked all the time "why don't you go to work, your kids are all in school?" Its what I do, its the job I know....to take care of my kids. Doesn't matter if they are 2 or 15, I want to be here when they get home from school, from dates, from where ever they are. I want to hear about their day and just be their mom. Hobbies are good, yes they keep me sain, but being a mom is most rewarding...and that takes time and keeps me busy. Your a wonderful mom, don't let anyone ever tell you different!!! Love ya!!
I love this blog Megan. I think you are a wonderful Mother!! If I could go back and do it all again I would definately pick being a Mom over a career. I hated working when you and Melanie were little and I feel like I missed out on alot by not being home when you both got home from school.
Wow Megan, That is really what I needed right now, you have no idea! Thank you so much for that and I am so excited to read this book. Our library doesn't have it (surprise) so I guess I'm just going to have to buy it :) I really needed this post. Thank you
Loved this post! i am going to go and get that book straight away :)
And...i felt so much power from that quote/story. The one thing i wanted to instill in the YW when i was in there...is that going to school gives you an education - but having kids will be your career. You need to love it and love them :) You are amazing! and...i would seriously give my kidney to be as organized and powerful as that Duggar woman...man oh man :)
Post a Comment