I just got back from a tap dance performance for one of my classes. It was really cool and lots of fun but seriously... those tight nose bleed seats were almost too much to handle. I felt so bad for our friend who is a foot taller than me. It got me thinking... Being poor is seriously LAME! Tight nose bleed seats, running to catch the bus before it leaves my behind, begging my family and friends to babysit because I can't afford $4 an hour teenagers, sifting through piles of clothes at DI for some stinkin 4T size pants for Andrew (no such luck, by the way)... Seriously we have it really good and I am so grateful for all that we have. I think my mother has bought the majority of Andrew and Olivia's wardrobes... but ONE DAY... I really hope I can just buy the nice front row seats, I hope I can leave 15 minutes before class instead of taking an hour and a half bus ride. I hope I can afford to tip my nice babysitters. I really hope I can one day pick out clothes for my kids myself. Although my mom really does do a good job of picking stuff out. :)
As much as I want all this stuff, I wouldn't trade all the lessons I have learned from being poor and I certainly wouldn't want to go into debt to have it all either. These past few "poor" years have really taught me some humility. One of my funniest memories is when my grandpa gave me a pan he found from DI before I went to college. My first thought was... "Are you kidding? It's from DI... gross." (I know, it's really embarrassing how bratty I was) Well we have now had that pan for 5 years and honestly it is my favorite pan and I will never get rid of it. Sure I will toss all my other ugly pans with teflon flakes but nope not this one. I learned to cook with this pan. Maybe I will hang it on my wall as a reminder of... 1) It doesn't matter where things come from, sometimes they are just good no matter what. 2) Just because it's old and has a little dirt doesn't mean its useless. and... 3) DI has some good stuff! :) My last shopping experience there produced 8 beautiful little plates for desserts, a pair of practically new dress shoes for Liv, and 2 pairs of nice pants for Ben... and a shirt he picked out that is not my favorite so I don't count it.
Take Joy in the Journey... I just gotta keep telling myself that.
10/8/09
Being Poor...
Posted by Megan at 9:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Haha! I love the part about the shirt not being your favorite.
I love the DI... Its just one of those places you know that you have to browse and take your time to find things. And little kids clothing doesn't get worn out so they always have nice things you can find there. This too will pass...but even when it does, the DI is still worth going to. :)
Some of the best things have a little dirt or rust on them... spring flowers, a kids smile after playing outside for awhile, old people who have once been in our shoes and have the stories to tell us. We all just need to remember that the dirt and rust can come off. A little spit shine can do wonders. haha We just need to find joy in the journey! Thanks for the post Megs... it made me think about the little things in my life that I take for granted every day. Love ya
Post a Comment