Ugh! I am currently fighting with Andrew over taking a nap. Since we took the binkie away, he won't settle down enough to get a nap in the day. For one thing, it makes me feel like I NEVER get a break. For another, which is the real reason we need help, he wakes up in the middle of the night screaming his head off because he is over-tired! At about 1am he is completely inconsolable for a half hour or longer. In my opinion, it is worse than having a newborn. I am so so frustrated when I get woken up or don't get enough sleep. It doesn't help that I wake up to someone that is screaming and kicking and is big enough to do damage... including waking up my other child. If he gets a nap in the day, this doesn't happen. So I need help!!! Does anyone have advice on how I can get Andrew to nap. I am desperate! I have become a space case the past week because I get no sleep, just ask my dear friends Aimee, Veneita, and Mindy. Hahaha. (Inside joke.) I could take him for a drive to make him sleep, but half the time I don't have a car and I don't want to start a habit... I have tried laying down with him and quickly decided that was not the action to take when he head-butted me in the nose because he was being crazy. So help me out here!
1/26/09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sorry :(
I am not the person to ask for advice on sleep for children, but you already know that. That is why I am a zombie too and never care about doing my hair anymore.
Well, I have had the same trouble for about 2-3 mo. (can't quite remember when it started-probably longer... Anyway, Rustin wakes up in the night and asks for a pancake or poptart. He used to do this like 3 times a night and then get up at 5am and want a bath. We have just decided that we have to be very firm. He will beg and beg and we just cant give in. Sometimes I do because I WANT my SLEEP at night- but we try. Rustin wont sleep in his own bed... so he sleeps on the floor in our room. For naps WE lay down on the floor bed and watch bob the builer. Sometimes he goes to sleep fast and other times I have to make him lay still with his eyes closed. Needless to say nap time is not our favorite time until he is asleep. Rustin will also calm down if we read a story while we lay there. It helps him to get into the mood- and know he is going to take a nap. Other times we just fight and then i get mad and tell him if he isnt going to go to sleep that mommy is going to leave and he will have to hap by himself, or if he is not going to go to sleep that he will have to go down to his own room and sleep in that bed. So I guess I just kinda figure out what will work that day. Hope some of this helps you- it's not fun... but I guess we will get through it even if we have no hair left!
watch a movie and hope he falls asleep? or put on some calming music and lay down with him? I don't know how to help! But hopefully you can get some "me" time soon.
My babysitter actually helped solve this problem quite well. Because i am terrible I would lay down with carter, give in to his every poptart and water request...I noticed that at her house she doesn't have time to put up with it. So he gets a snack and a drink, we lay him down and shut the door. Sometimes he will cry and sometimes he will knock on the door, other times he will walk out and we repeat the process 3-4 times. Other days I tell him that he doesn't have to take a nap at all but he has to agree not to be a stinker and it usually works quite well. Leave him in there and let him cry. That's the only way your gonna get the message through that you need quiet time. Even at night, he'll eventually go back to sleep...eventually! If he gets too hysterical at night. TJ will go in, give him a kiss and tell him that he's a big boy and it's time to go back to bed, he loves him and good night. It's suprising how much better he goes back to sleep when it's TJ and not me reinforcing this.
Good Luck! I am fighting the same battle.
Post a Comment