Well I made it through the first week of my "try new foods challenge." If any of you feel like you are in a cooking rut, I would highly recommend challenging yourself to try cooking completely new things for one week. I had so much fun that I think I am out of my rut! I looked all over for interesting recipes, made a menu, went shopping, and this is what happened.
Monday we had... leftovers. Haha. We made salads with the leftover pork, I guess it is somewhat similar to the Cafe Rio salads. Yummy.
Tuesday we had... Chicken breasts in caper cream sauce. This was not my favorite. I had never had capers before and probably never would like to have them again. Ben really liked them but they were way too salty for me. If you take the capers out I think this dish would be perfect, although it is very far from fat-free!
Wednesday we had... Calzones! I love calzones but had never made them. They were amazingly easy and very good.
Thursday we had Clam Chowder, I forgot to get a picture so I don't have proof I made it but I did and it was good. I never realized how many recipes for clam chowder there were out there. I would like to try some different ones too.
So that pretty much wraps up one week, we had calzones again last night because my grandparents came out and I knew my grandpa loved them. To mix it up and make something new Ben made fruit pizza. I am really excited to keep going with my challenge and make more new things.

It seemed like a lot of people were in baking ruts when I blogged about it... So I was thinking we could start a little recipe blogging chain. This is how it will work. You leave me a comment with your favorite all time dinner recipe that I just have to try. In return, I will leave you a comment on one of your blogs with a recipe. If you want, you could blog about cooking and ask people to leave you recipes... Then we can all go searching around looking for good recipes. Just an idea. If you are interested... leave me a recipe!
Happy Cooking!


5 comments:
K I have THE best recipe for Orange Chicken. Seriously like my favorite! BUT... I am just running out of the house. I just wanted to leave a message to say I WILL leave another message- cuz I'm cool like that!
Sooo.... how much would I have to pay you to be my fulltime cook? lol
I know what you mean! I get in these ruts a lot. I love the idea of a recipe chain. I am ALWAYS looking for new recipes. Here is a good one. It is super easy. It is a crock pot meal (except for the noodles of course).
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
INGREDIENTS
1 pound cubed beef stew meat
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water
4 ounces cream cheese
DIRECTIONS
In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce and water.
Cook on Low setting for 6 hours, or on High setting for about 4 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving(you can soften it really well in the microwave for a few seconds, it will stir in easier for you). Serve over wide egg noodles.
FYI, if you are using a really big crock pot, it won't take as long to cook.
Okay I am back.
Here's the recipe link for Panda Express's Orange Chicken. I was going to write it all down but that's a lot of typing.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Panda-Express-Orange-Chicken-103215
I tweak mine a little. Like I don't use ginger root or green onions or wine. I just use regular oil and I use garlic powder instead of minced garlic. (hopefully that will make sense when you read the recipe)
It's definitely a favorite around here. And you can use red chili's or leave them out. Depending on how spicy you like your food. You can also double the orange chicken sauce (I do) if you like lots of sauce.
I must warn you though- at times when you are cooking (like when you have to simmer your oil and garlic) it will stink pretty bad- you'll be sure you're messing up. No worries. It's a pretty indestructible recipe.
Let me know how you like it!
I tried your chicken pizza thing... it was soooooo good!!! I loved it. And there was enough for left overs the next day. YAYA!!!
Post a Comment