3/30/09

March Baking!

I almost gave up on using yeast ever again on this baking challenge. In the past month or two, I have made several loaves of bread that have all turned out terribly. I tried to make ciabatta bread again and it was nasty, I tried to make wheat bread and it never rose, I tried to make white bread and they were flattened. Well with this recipe, I made it just like it said and they weren't rising. I was getting ready to throw the bowl out the window when I called my mother-in-law and got some tips on making them rise by putting them in the oven... several hours later... it worked. They rose... although I think I need to try them again to make them get puffier. So this is what I learned to do this month. Cinnamon Sticky Buns The reason I think mine didn't turn out quite as good is... 1) I was afraid they wouldn't work and it would be a waste so I didn't put very many expensive pecans on them... it would have been great smothered with pecans like their picture showed... 2) If you make this, use warm milk (it doesn't specify) because they will raise better. 3) I would make probably double the topping because I like mine extra fattening. :) Even with all the hang-ups, they were delicious! Oh so sticky and gooey. Yum!

4 comments:

Aimee said...

What kind of yeast do you use? I have found that sticking to name brand SAF yeast works better. It is all I will use.

Glad they turned out and that someone in this world is at least trying to bake and cook.

Becca said...

*smacking lips and drooling* looks yummy to me girl!

Mary said...

Wow. That's all I can say. I have been cookin' up lots of new recipes, but baking? And without a box mix? No go. But really, more than anything I wish I was the wife who has the yummy smell of bread baking when my husband gets home from work. I'm much too scared to even try.

Me said...

you are so funny!!!! Like any fatty food has an effect on you!!! They did look really good, but I can't make them til after the baby is born...