I used to not be a big fan of this holiday. It was a little depressing not having a dad around to share it with. However, as I sat thinking about dads last night I couldn't help but feel so very blessed to have so many caring men in my life that have helped fill that role. The man who did the most for me is my grandpa. My grandpa has always been there for me. We lived on the same street as my grandparents my whole life and I owe so much to them for being so involved in my life. Some of my favorite memories of my grandpa growing up are:
*Whenever something exciting was happening he would call me and say, "Megan come over, I have something to show you." One of my favorite things he called me for was going searching for night crawlers in the back yard. He taught me that in order to catch one, I just had to hold on tight, not pull, and eventually they would give up and I could pull them out. I used to love being outside with him. He would take me for rides on his old fashioned tiller, we would go "ruff-dog" (prairie dog) shooting, he took me fishing a few times, craw-dad hunting, or we would just go outside and count the satellites up in the sky at night.
*We did so many things just the two of us. I guess I was his favorite grandchild, haha just kidding cousins! He used to take me for rides in the big semi trucks after he finished working on them. He took me on a helicopter ride once with a friend of his. I used to go over to his house, sit on the counter, and sing Lorrie Morgan songs to him. I was really into western stuff for a short time and he took me to the western store and got me cowboy boots and all sorts of clothes to wear. I remember he introduced me to "worry stones" and his was always way smoother than mine! I used to be my grandpa's elf for Christmas when he would play Santa Claus for the town and he even gave me an elf name and got me my very own ornament that says, "Twinkle Star Claus" He is the only person in the world to call me, "Megan Muh-gill-a-kud-ee" Haha, I have no idea where he got that.
*Some of my favorite memories are going on vacations with my grandparents. We have been to Vegas, Seattle, and my favorite Galveston. When we went to Galveston, it was just me, my grandparents, and my mom. My grandpa and I played in the ocean all day.
*My grandpa has a huge heart. He is always calling me and asking about the kids and Ben. He works for hours on my car when something is wrong. I remember him asking me to come down and talk to him after a friend of mine had died in high school and he took me on a drive with my grandma and Ben. He has always stepped in to play the dad role in my life... whether it was the first dance at prom, walking me down the aisle, or letting me shower him with gifts for Father's Day.
He has been one of my very best friends all my life and I love him so much. One blog post is not enough to say how great he is. If God only gave me him, I would be truly blessed. Thankfully, I also have amazing uncles and I am so grateful for Ben for really showing me what a great dad is. So with that said, I will stop carrying on now. Happy Father's Day to all you amazing dads out there.
6/21/09
Happy Father's Day Grandpa!
Posted by Megan at 5:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment