
So today I was writing in this journal that I keep for Andrew and Olivia. I started it when Andrew was a baby and just write in it at least once a month listing all the funny things they are saying and doing or things I am frustrated with as a parent, etc. Lately Andrew has been kind of a stinker to me. As I kept writing though, I realized how wonderful it would be to have more personality traits like him.
1) He gets excited about EVERYTHING! He gets excited when I say I made a new track for him to play on, he gets excited over clementine oranges, he gets excited to the point of peeing himself when someone knocks on the door. He always says, "You can come play to me if you want." If I say okay I will. He cries out, "Okay! Let's play!" I wish I could be as excited about life as Andrew is.
2) He is so forgiving. While he was playing outside the other day, one of our neighbor kids threw snow in his face. This was some seriously hard snow and he had scratches all over his nose and forehead that were bleeding. I was furious. I ran outside and hugged him and then said, "Okay we are going inside now." He then started to scream at me! He didn't want to go inside. He wanted to stay outside and play with this kid who just threw hard snow in his face. He is so forgiving of others, especially me. I wish I could be as forgiving as Andrew.
3) He doesn't judge people. If you play trains with Andrew for 10 minutes, I don't care who you are, you are Andrew's new favorite person. We were once in Wal-Mart and our checker was a little strange looking; he had tattoos, piercings, and a really low cut shirt(is that not a little strange on a man? haha). Andrew was still as friendly as ever, not even noticing things like that. This guy seriously perked up as Andrew talked to him. It was like he had a wall up and acted all tough but when he knew he wasn't being judged, he opened up. I wish I could be as open-minded as Andrew.
4) He has very little inhibitions. I am amazed how quickly he is picking up this Spanish thing. I can tell he is a little shy at first but then says, "Hola" or "Gracias" without any fear of it sounding wrong or being made fun of. I think a lot of time adults are afraid to try something new for fear of what people will think, I know I am like that. How nice would it be to feel confident enough to run outside in your underwear? Not that anyone should :), but how nice would it be to not care that all the neighbors are watching?
As I finished up writing in Andrew's journal, my complaints turned into thanks. I am so very grateful for all the lessons my children have taught me. They have given me more understanding to what Christ meant when he said to become as little children. Maybe instead of being a cautious over-thinking adult when things don't go my way, I will wonder "What would Andrew do?"
Excited about everything.
Last place in the race but doesn't even care.
Not afraid to try new things.
1/17/10
What would Andrew do?
Posted by Megan at 4:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
What a great post. May we all try to be a little more like Andrew!
That is awesome! Kids truly are amazing!You have such cute family!
Megan, you have got to be the best mom ever. You have great kids, and that isn't just luck, you know! Your organization and sweetness are admirable.
I love your post and the great lesson it teaches. I think I am going to try and be a little more like Andrew (especially when trying to sing one line of a song or practice my new dance moves LOL).
Isn't there somewhere that says the children will lead us? I believe that if we follow Andrews example, the world would be a much better and more fun place to live. Thanks Megs!
Post a Comment